Sunday, May 8, 2011

Extra-biblical sources

2 Kings
It is so neat to hear about extra-biblical sources that back up what the bible says.  Today I read in the footnotes of my Archaeological Study Bible that some archaeologists found Babylonian administrative tablets.  These tablets apparently outline the rations provided to the captives in Babylon.  In 2 Kings 25, we can read about the fall of Jerusalem and the captives that were taken to Babylon by Nebuchadnezzar.  These tablets support this information because they mention Jehoiachin king of Judah and five of his sons!
As I read the bible, I often find myself reading it in a bit of a vacuum, thinking that nobody else would have bothered recording the information in it.  It's interesting to see that the historical facts have been recorded elsewhere, to some extent.

No comments:

Post a Comment