Saturday, September 8, 2012

Dallas Willard's book... again

I'm posting again on Dallas Willard's book "Hearing God".  I'll probably end up posting on it again before I'm done, because I'm only partway through the book, and I'm finding it really interesting.  It speaks about how to talk and listen to God, but in ways that make sense.  Willard is basically putting into words a lot of the experiences I've either had or heard about, and he gives a bit more explanation about hearing God and provides scripture verses to back up his point of view.
The next idea of his that I'd like to mention is the fact that we can't just rely on blind faith (knowing that God is working in our lives but having no clue what exactly he's doing), miraculous acts of God, or just a 'sense' that he is guiding us.  We have to commune with him through reasonable, intelligent conversation.  Why?  Willard mentions Psalm 32:9 - "Do not be like a horse or a mule, without understanding, whose temper must be curbed with a bit and bridle."  Willard goes on to say "We are to be led by - guided by - reasonable intelligible communication, not by blind impulse, force, or sensation alone."

No comments:

Post a Comment