Monday, June 6, 2011

Just a little rest, but no lying

Proverbs
A few verses from chapter 6 of Proverbs really stuck out to me.  For one, make sure you don't sit down for too long!  Check out verses 10-11: "A little sleep, a little slumber, a little fold of the hands to rest - and poverty will come on you like a bandit and scarcity like and armed man."
Apparently, I really like this passage, because as I was typing it out, I felt that it was awfully familiar to me on this blog, and I actually posted specifically on this phrase on October 1, 2010.  The verse was different - in Proverbs 24, but it was the exact same phrase.  So clearly this message is important!  I think that is because I myself am one to work hard and not take many breaks, which isn't always a good thing.

Anyway, the next passage that popped out to me was verses 16-19.  These verses give us a list of things the Lord hates.  Interestingly, lying is mentioned twice, which makes it a double sin??  I wonder, above all, does that mean the Lord does not like lying?
Well, I just read into this issue a bit further, and Gill's Exposition on the Bible makes the distinction between lying in general (the first mention) and "bearing false witness" (the second mention).  The bearing of false witness is speaking untruthfully about your neighbour, whereas lying could just mean speaking the non-truth in any situation.  Regardless, I think the point we can get from this is, always speak the truth!  It'll get you a lot farther in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment