Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Evangelism

This post has nothing to do with the bible reading, but it does relate to something else I read today.  I've been reading Rick Warren's The Purpose Driven Church, and he said something quite interesting about evangelism:

"My dad is the best fisherman I've ever met.  If there is only one fish in a lake or stream he will catch it. . . . How did he do it? ... Did God just like him better?
"As I got older I realized his secret: My dad understood fish.  He could 'read' a lake and figure out exactly where the fish were; he knew what time of day they liked to eat; he knew what bait or lure to use depending on the type of fish; he knew when to change bait as the temperature changed; he even seemed to know exactly how deep to drop the line into the water.  He made it as easy and attractive as possible for fish to swallow his hook - so they did! He caught fish on their terms.
"In contrast, I never had a strategy when I went fishing.  I'd cast out anywhere in the lake hoping something might bite.  Fish rarely went for my hook because I fished with a take-it-or-leave-it attitude. . .  my fishing spots were usually determined by what was most comfortable to me.  I had no strategy, and my results showed it.
"Unfortunately, many churches have this same lackadaisical attitude toward fishing for men and women. . . They want to win people to Christ as long as it can be done a comfortable way." (pp. 185-186).

No comments:

Post a Comment