Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Jesus on divorce

Key verses
Psalm 42:1, 11 - As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God.  Why are you downcast, O my soul?  Why so disturbed within me?  Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.

Matthew
In Matthew 19, Jesus talks about divorce.  Interestingly, this passage is also found in Mark and Luke, but both of those books do not include an exception to the rule.  Matthew suggests that divorce is wrong, except for situations of marital unfaithfulness, but both Mark and Luke say that divorce is prohibited.  As William Barclay states, I think we have to go with the interpretation in Mark and Luke, and understand that Matthew's exception was included at a later date, and was derived from the evolved practice of the church, and not on what Jesus himself said.

No comments:

Post a Comment