Thursday, January 6, 2011

The staff and salvation


Genesis
I was curious as to what Genesis 47:31 meant - "'Swear to me,' he [Jacob] said. Then Joseph swore to him, and Israel worshiped as he leaned on the top of his staff."  Particularly the part about the staff interested me.  What I found out was that out of 10 or so translations, the NIV was the only one that used 'top of his staff'.  The rest talk about the head of the bed.  However, the staff terminology comes from Hebrews 11:21 and the Greek version of the Old Testament, which makes more sense than the Hebrew version 'head of the bed'.  In fact, as I found out from the Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary, the bed likely didn't have have a 'head' as it was just a mat, so top of the staff makes more sense.  Clarke's commentary suggests that Jacob, in his old age, simply needed to lean on the staff for support, and he worshiped God because Joseph would be able to bring his bones back to his forefathers' resting place.

Matthew
In Matthew 9:13 Jesus says, "But go and learn what this means: 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
This verse reminds me that once we're saved, it's not the end.  Jesus was always looking to speak to the sinners, to rescue them and bring them into new life.  Once we've been rescued, we shouldn't sit on our laurels; we should go out and help Jesus extend God's kingdom on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment