Monday, April 4, 2011

Be weak, and therefore strong

2 Corinthians
I'm focusing on 2 Corinthians again today.  Paul has a lot of good things to say.  In today's reading in chapter 12, he said that "when I am weak, then I am strong" (verse 10).  He delights in his weakness, because that is where Christ can shine through the strongest.  What a different mindset than most of us!  I usually try to hide my weaknesses and my ignorance because I want to seem as strong, smart, and put together as I possibly can.  Unfortunately, relying on our own 'strength' in this way can keep us from discovering and experiencing the strength of God, which is infinitely better than anything we could conjure up on our own. By withholding ourselves from others and refusing help, relying on our own power and not submitting to God, or reaching out to those around us, we are truly missing out on the life that God desires for us.  Community with him and with the rest of his children.  Our way may seem to be the better way, but really, if we are all pretending to be competent when we aren't, what kind of relationships are we living in?  I don't think we need to broadcast our weaknesses and inexperience to the world, but realizing that we need help, and being open to receiving it, will help us live a fuller, stronger life.

No comments:

Post a Comment