Sunday, November 28, 2010

Asking in Jesus' name

Today I would like to focus on John 14:13-14.  Here is the text: "And I [Jesus] will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it."

At first glance, that may sound too good to be true.  I can ask for anything and Jesus will follow through!  It's sort of like having your own money tree... except for those three words: in my name.  Let's harken back to a post I wrote a little while ago about making oaths in the name of God.  Whenever you start using God's name (God the Father, or Jesus the Son, or the Holy Spirit), you automatically (whether you like it or not) use the character and personal qualities behind that name.  Thus, when you ask for something in Jesus' name, you're asking for something that falls in line with all things good, noble, pure, true, selfless, joyful, and need I go on?  John 14:14 isn't a free gift for anything we want.  It's a free gift for anything in line with God, his will, and his character.

It's like that saying "Love God and do as you please."  The hidden premise is that if you truly love God, you'll be doing what pleases him, because that will in turn be what pleases you.  And as we take on the full nature of God (see Ephesians 4:24), this process becomes easier to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment