Friday, November 26, 2010

The betrayer

I have always been confused as to why the disciples didn't realize Judas was the betrayer earlier on.  Jesus plainly said in John 13:21 "I tell you the truth, one of you is going to betray me."  And then after they ask him who it would be, he says in v. 26 “It is the one to whom I will give this piece of bread when I have dipped it in the dish.”  After that, he promptly gives the bread to Judas.  Does anyone have any suggestions about how they could have missed this clue?


Here is something from Gill's commentary which I have now looked up.  I'm not sure I totally buy into what he is saying, but it could be one explanation:
Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible
"Jesus answered, he it is,.... Jesus replied, by whispering; for had he spoken out, the rest could not have been so ignorant, as they still continued, after the sign was given: Christ, I say, whispered to John, and told him by what sign he might know the person, and that it was he,[....]"

No comments:

Post a Comment