Wednesday, November 17, 2010

You ol' dry bones

Key verse
1 John 3:1 - How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God!

Job 13:15 seems to have some very different translations.  The NIV says "Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him; I will surely defend my ways to his face."  This version seems to suggest that even though God has Job suffer bad times, Job will still trust that God has something better in store, although he will ask God why.  The NIV also includes a footnote, however, that says another way to read the verse is "He will surely slay me; I have no hope - yet I will surely defend my ways to his face."  This different version suggests that even though Job has no hope because God will definitely kill (if this is the proper translation of slay) him, Job is still going to ask God why.
In some ways, these two translations are similar, but the first seems to be more trusting in God than the other.

EzekielI like this passage about the old dry bones, because it reminds me of a song I once heard.

Here are the lyrics from an Internet site.
It was down in boneyard circuit
There was no way to shirk it,
A Preacher named Ezekiel was sent
he landed at the station
and saw the situation
a valley of dry bones was his audience
by way of a suggestion
the Lord asked him a question
can these dry bones be raised up from the dead?
The spirit was beseeching
the preacher went to preaching
and from the pulpit this is what he said

Oh you old dry bones,
hear the words of the Lord
Rise upon your feet
his goodness to repeat
lay aside your dry profession
get a holy Ghost possession
you have been bleaching in the desert long enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment