Saturday, October 23, 2010

Patience is a virtue

Key verse
Ecclesiastes 8:12 - Although a wicked man commits a hundred crimes and still lives a long time, I know that it will go better with God-fearing men, who are reverent before God.


James
Patience - that is one thing that I find is hard to come by.  Once I decide on something, I want to go and do it right away, perhaps even if I'm not ready yet.  Fortunately, I've got people around me who keep me down to earth, most of the time!  It's a good reminder to know that "the Judge is standing at the door".  I realize that statement was directed to those who grumble, which I do on occasion as well, but I think it can apply to any situation.  After all, God is omnipresent, everywhere all the time.  Life application? Be more patient today!

John
Historical lesson:
Apparently, the Samaritans had built a temple on Mount Gerizim, which (this is getting a bit ahead of the reading) the Samaritan woman said was the mountain on which they must worship, although the Jews say they have to worship in Jerusalem at the temple there.  The Samaritans accepted only the Pentateuch as the scriptures, and their version commanded worship on Mount Gerizim.  Here is part of the contention between Jews and Samaritans.

Jeremiah
Poor Uriah... He prophesied the truth just like Jeremiah, and yet he died and Jeremiah lived because of his connections at the temple.
There certainly isn't much lasting satisfaction in being a false prophet.  Hananiah died within a year of his false claims.

No comments:

Post a Comment