Sunday, December 5, 2010

God of love

Today's reading in John was interesting.  Here is what I am referring to (John 16:25-28):
“Though I have been speaking figuratively, a time is coming when I will no longer use this kind of language but will tell you plainly about my Father. In that day you will ask in my name. I am not saying that I will ask the Father on your behalf. No, the Father himself loves you because you have loved me and have believed that I came from God. I came from the Father and entered the world; now I am leaving the world and going back to the Father.”
I decided to read about this passage in a commentary, one by William Barclay.  He mentioned that this passage is important because it shows that Jesus was not the one who turned God into a God of love.  Jesus is telling his disciples that they will be able to ask in his name because God himself loves them.  God in the Old Testament seems to not be so loving, with all the judgment and punishments meted out on the Israelites.  When Jesus came, it seemed like he changed God.  However, Jesus didn't just show God's love after he died, his entire life on earth was a testimony to the fact that God loves us.  Jesus wasn't changing God's attitude, he was changing ours, so that we would understand just how much God loves his people.  All of God's actions toward us were in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment